Owning a home comes with its fair share of responsibilities and one of those responsibilities is protecting your home against damage from natural disaster including heavy wind and rain or accidental damage caused by malfunctioning appliances, faulty plumbing and other water related accidents. According to the experienced professionals at DM Carpet Cleaning when disaster strikes you should be prepared to protect your home and belongings from potential water damage whenever physically possible.
Common Causes of Water Damage
1. Air Conditioner: you rely on your air-conditioning unit to keep your home cool in the summer months and to keep it running at optimal performance levels it should be serviced at least once a year. One of the jobs of your air conditioning unit is to remove moisture from the air, unfortunately that moisture can build up and if your drainage system is malfunctioning, the buildup of water could be spilling out into your home damaging your floors and drywall and creating the perfect environment for mold growth.
2. Dishwasher: your dishwasher could be responsible for thousands of dollars of water damage if it is not correctly sealed such as in the case of a broken latch or leaking hose. Regular inspection and repairs can help you avoid water damage repairs to your kitchen along with other areas of your home
3. Washing Machine: taking the time to inspect your washing machine including checking underneath it as well as behind it can save you from experiencing water damage. Check that the fittings are securely attached to the water outlets and replace the hoses every 5 years. If your washing machine is more than ten years old, you may want to consider purchasing a new one.
4. Leaking Pipes: leaking pipes are one of the leading causes of water damage within the home. A loose fitting pipe under the bathroom sink or water pooling under the kitchen sink should never be ignored. It would be prudent to contact a plumber for immediate assistance since a small leak is often evidence of other leaks within your home, especially if you have noticed an increase in your water bill. An unchecked leak could cause significant damage to your flooring, foundation and many other areas of your home.
5. Clogged Drains: a clogged drain is not only a nuisance it can also be responsible for water damage and the resulting mold and mildew growth. If you toilet is stopped up for example it could cause a backup into your sink, shower or bath spreading sewage and bacteria in its wake. A blocked drain in the kitchen on the other hand, can cause the sink to overflow resulting in damage to your cabinetry and flooring. Contact your plumber for advice and service to unclog the drain and avoid the threat of water damage to your home and business.
Water Extraction, Structural Drying, Carpet Cleaning, Deodorizing & More in Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Roswell, Duluth, Stone Mountain, Covington, Conyers, Loganville & Atlanta Georgia
If you are the victim of water damage due to natural or accidental flooding, contact the knowledgeable experts at DM Carpet Cleaning to learn more about professional water damage restoration services.