When it comes to caring for your carpet, DM Carpet Cleaning knows how difficult it can be to remove certain stains. There are some that are easier to remove than others. Acting quickly when dealing with spills and stains is key in caring for and maintaining your carpet. We would like to share some tips with you to help you care for your carpet between the professional cleanings you have scheduled each year.
Steps to Clean Up Carpet Spills & Stains
1. Act Quickly to Clean Carpet– This is the first and one of the most important steps when caring for spills and stains on your carpet. The longer a spill sits on the fibers of your carpeting, the deeper it will absorb into those fibers, making it much more difficult to remove. As soon as you notice a spill, work quickly to remove it from the carpet.
2. Remove Excess Water, Liquid or Solid– There will most likely be excess liquid or solid matter when a spill takes place on your carpet. Work to remove any excess liquid or solid matter with a wet, clean washcloth before working to completely remove the stain.
3. Apply Cleaning Agent to Carpet– Whether you are using a commercial carpet cleaning solution, or common cleaning agents you find around your house like vinegar, apply it to the stain without over saturating the fibers of your carpet. Over saturation will end up doing more harm than good in the long run.
4. Blot, Don’t Scrub Carpet Stains– When removing spills and stains from your carpet, it is important that you never scrub the stain away. This will have the opposite effect on your carpeting and push the stain deeper into the fibers as well as cause damage to your carpet. Always blot the stain away with a wet washcloth by adding pressure to the cloth.
5. Repeat Cleaning & Blotting Carpet Stain– If the stain isn’t removed right away, steps 3&4 can be repeated as many times as needed to completely remove the stain.
Common Household Carpet Stains
Here are some common stains you might find on your carpeting, and how to remove them.
• Pet Urine– When removing pet urine, one of the most difficult tasks is removing the smell. Use an enzymatic cleaner that is sold at pet stores to assist you in removing this stain.
• Blood & Wine– Cold water and club soda are the best cleaners for these stains. Apply either or and blot with a wash cloth. You may need to repeat this several times before the stain is completely removed.
• Butter, Gravy & Other Fat-Based Stains– To remove oil and fat based stains from your carpeting, a dry solvent carpet cleaner will get the job done.
Carpet Spot & Stain Removal in Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Roswell, Duluth, Stone Mountain, Covington, Conyers, Loganville and Atlanta Georgia
Maintaining your carpet between professional cleanings is one way you can extend the life of your carpets. If you find that you are unable to remove any spills and stains on your carpet, it might be time to let DM Carpet Cleaning help. We offer carpet spot and stain removal, and with our carpet cleaning expertise, there isn’t a stain out there that we can’t remove. Call us today!