Cigarette smokers produce distinct odors that are especially obvious to a non-smoker. Those particularly sensitive to these odors and fumes can make them gag, cough, and even make them feel nauseous. If the smoking is excessive indoors, the smells can make the home feel uncomfortable and suffocating. Whether you are moving into space that is your own or that is a rental, you will want to neutralize the cigarette odor quickly to make the space smell refreshing. Today, we at D & M Carpet Cleaning would like to offer some tips on how you can clean the cigarette smoke odors from your home.
Cigarette Smoke Odor Removal Tips
1) Purify Air. Though tending to other surfaces listed below will expedite the process and help the process, odors are in the air that need to be neutralized as the primary goal. Purifying the air is the best solution and with D & M Carpet Cleaning odor removing fogging system, the odor molecules are eliminated, not just masked with aerosols sprays or plug-ins. Destroying the odor molecules in the air will eliminate the offensive odors in the air. Be sure to replace the air filters so the ash caught in them is not continually be cycled in the air. Until you can schedule this beneficial service, set a bowl of vinegar in every room, making sure it is not accessible to pets or kids, and allow it to sit several hours. Citrus peeling can also be useful in addition to the vinegar whether raw or boiled (boiled magnifies the refreshing fragrance).
2) Deep Professional Carpet Cleaning. Cigarette odors can penetrate into the porous carpet fibers, which is another contributor to the unpleasant smell. To effectively neutralize the odors collecting in the carpets, invest in a deep professional carpet clean. Before moving into the new home, you will likely want the benefit of freshly cleaned carpets anyway but ensuring you to this step can better neutralize the odors with professional products and heavy-duty extraction equipment. If you choose to DIY deep cleaning, be sure to carpet cleaning products that target odors. Keep in mind professional cleaning is a higher quality that can tackle odors better than consumer products.
3) Drapery & Upholstery Cleaning. The drapes or curtains are often a standard element in rentals, but even homeowners will leave behind drapes or curtains that were customized for a specific size that they likely do not have a use for in the new home. Cloth-made lamp shades and blinds will also likely have attached cigarette odors. To remove the cigarette stench from these surfaces, mix equal parts warm water and white vinegar in a spray bottle and shake well. Lightly mist these surfaces with the diluted vinegar and let the solution sit for about 10-15 minutes. Follow up with a damp cloth to blot the vinegar away. This mixture can also be used on upholstery, however, a deep upholstery cleaning from a professional will maximize the odor removal.
4) Removing Smoke Odors from Hard Surfaces. A minor detail to eliminate the cigarette odors is the ceilings, walls, blinds and windows as residues collect on the surfaces, and they are likely not diligently cleaned. With warm soapy water, treat a cloth or rag into the mixture, ring it out so it is damp and wipe down all of these remaining surfaces to ensure the film is removed. Rinse out the cloth as you go and be sure to treat the cloth again with the soapy water.
5) Wooden Surface Smoke Removal. Long-term exposure to cigarette smoke can potentially cause the wood to absorb these odors. Hardwood floors, trim work, baseboards, cabinets, built-in book cases and so on should be cleaned with a citrus-based wood cleaner to eliminate these odors, return some moisture to the dry wood, and give them luster.
Odor Removal Fogging System Carpet & Sofa Cleaning & More in Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Roswell, Duluth, Stone Mountain, Covington, Conyers, Loganville & Atlanta Georgia
With D & M Carpet Cleaning, not only can we utilize our proven odor eliminating fogging system in your home, but we can provide a deep clean that will neutralize odors in your carpets, upholstery and wood floor. Call us today to get your new home cigarette-odor free!