Milk, in their flavorful varieties, is enjoyed by children and adults alike. During mealtime or even throughout the day, glasses of chocolate and strawberry milk options are very commonly served. In general, milk has its advantages, but when it is spilled onto the carpets, it can be a disaster if it is not promptly removed. In an effort to help protect your carpets from savage stains and odors spilled chocolate and strawberry milk can create, we at D&M Carpet Cleaning have listed a few steps to treat the carpet.
Tips for Cleaning Chocolate Milk Spills
1) By using a few paper towels, you can soak up the excess milk from the carpet. Soak up the liquid by placing the paper towel over the top of the spill and gently applying pressure. Continue the process until the milk no longer absorbs into the paper towels; be sure to throw them in the trash as you go.
2) To prevent the chocolate or strawberry milk from spreading and absorbing into the fibers, lightly sprinkle table salt to the surface of the spill. For about 20 minutes, the lingering moisture absorb into the salt and once dry, vacuum the remaining particles.
3) In a container (bucket or squirt bottle) fill 2 cups warm water and add 1 tbsp. liquid dish soap. Saturate a cloth in the solution and ring it out so it is damp, use the treated cloth to blot the remaining chocolate or strawberry milk spot. Start blotting on the exterior of the spot and work towards the center to prevent the spot from seeping into the fibers and out. For strawberry milk stains, an effective alternative is to combine five cups of warm water with a teaspoon of non-bleach laundry detergent. Follow the same steps as with the liquid dish soap mixture. Commercial carpet cleaners are applicable if that is your preference, just be sure to follow the label’s instructions.
4) Rinse the spot free from any soapy/cleaner residues by using a damp cloth (water only) to blot the area you treated. Once complete, use a dry towel to blot as much as possible and ventilate and increase air flow as much as possible to accelerate the drying.
5) Should the stain lighten but persist, combine 2 cups warm water and 1 tbsp ammonia in a container and dampen the cloth with your mixture; blot the residual stain. Follow with a water-dampen cloth to remove the ammonia residues.
6) Dry the area as much as possible by using a clean, dry towel.
Patch Test Before Using Carpet Cleaners
Take Note: Be sure to conduct a patch test in an inconspicuous spot to ensure it will not compromise the carpet before treating the carpet/strawberry milk stains on your carpet. To help combat odors that might be developing with the bacteria causing milk products. Leave it overnight or at least several hours and afterwards, be sure to vacuum the particles when it is surely dry.
Carpet Cleaning, Stain Removal Services & More in Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Roswell, Duluth, Stone Mountain, Covington, Conyers, Loganville & Atlanta Georgia
When treating various milk stains, be sure to avoid using hot water, the paper towels, towels, sponges, cloths, and other paraphernalia should just be plain white, otherwise you can ruin the carpeting. Whenever there is a spill, especially milk, be sure to react quickly and begin removal to avoid odors, bacteria growth, and staining. If you need assistance removing the chocolate/strawberry milk stains from your carpets, call in the pros from D&M Carpet Cleaning and let us take care of the rest!