Carpet odors can easily occur in any home. From food and beverage spills, to cigarette or cigar smoking, as well as pet odors from accidents, dander, and “wet dog” smells, mold and mildew odors, and other substances being transferred to the carpets from being tracked inside or other various accidents. In any case, it is not uncommon for carpets to collect a number of odors that is making your home smell unpleasant. Today, we at D & M Carpet Cleaning would like t share how you can eliminate the odors from your carpets.
Treat Carpet Odors at the Source
Combating the odors at the source is the first step. Not only is the original element causing odors, but it is continuing to introduce odor molecules into the air, which why the smell only seems to worsen over time. Where odors can be difficult all together, there are steps you can take to reduce the risk and protect the carpets.
How to Prevent Carpet Odors
1) Keep food and drinks off the carpet by localizing it to the kitchen. Where this rule might be easier said than done, the more you and your family eat and drink on the carpets, the higher risk is for dropping it on the carpets creating stains and odors. Should any accidents occur, immediately treat the spots before the odors and stains set in.
2) Smoke outside. All recreational smoking habits should be done outdoors to avoid these odors from absorbing into porous materials, like carpet.
3) Pet accidents can be hard to control, but if they occur, cleaning them up thoroughly can help the stains and odors from accumulating on the carpets.
4) Routine vacuuming can help maintain the dirt and debris that can contribute to carpet odors. The more vacuuming the better so if you can vacuum daily that will be best. If time does not permit, make sure to vacuum as frequently as possible.
5) Professional deep carpet cleaning 1-2 times a year can also control the odors from getting excessive. Not only is the dirt and debris extracted, but the stains, spots, and odors are eliminated, preventing the odors from getting more and more potent.
How to Neutralize Odors in Carpet
Steps for odor removal on carpets: Depending on the source, the carpet odors can be treated. Keep in mind, protein-based spots, stains, and odors, such as from pet urine, feces, or vomit or even sweat, need to be treated with an enzyme formulated carpet cleaner. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s directions.
For general spots and odors:
1) Mix 2 cups lukewarm water and 2 cups of distilled white vinegar to treat spots and/or odors. Should a stain be present, you can either try to add 1 tsp mild dish soap or ½ cup of Oxi-clean. Be sure to administer a patch test to ensure the carpet fibers will not lighten or otherwise be compromised.
2) Let the solution sit for 5-10 minutes. After the time has lapsed, use a damp cloth to blot, do not scrub, the carpet areas.
3) After the spot is lifted and the carpet is only damp, sprinkle baking soda on the inflicted area. Allow it to sit for several hours, or overnight and thoroughly vacuum the carpet slowly and in multiple directions to ensure baking soda is completely sucked away.
Carpet Cleaning, Stain & Spot Removal & More in Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Roswell, Duluth, Stone Mountain, Covington, Conyers, Loganville & Atlanta Georgia
D & M Carpet Cleaning offers carpet cleaning to help homeowners in the Greater Atlanta, Georgia area keep the carpets clean and odor free. Additionally, odor removal fogging systems will attack the odor molecules in the area to completely remove and eliminate the odors in your home. If you are having issues with odor, call D & M Carpet Cleaning today and let our specialists help you get your home odor free!