Water is a very common ingredient used in most cleaning projects, however, when the water is spilled on carpets, it can surprisingly leave behind a noticeable stain. Below the surface, there are excess minerals in hard water creating the stain and/or the dirt and debris has risen and become more compacted in that area, making it look like an eye-sore when these water stains develop. The chances of it becoming more obvious increases and it can also lead to potential water damage to the subfloor and even contribute to mold growth stems from how long it lingers. You should promptly use a dry cloth, towel, or paper towels to blot out as much water as possible when spills occur to prevent the spots. With this in mind, we at DM Carpet Cleaning would like to further elaborate on water spots on carpets.
Cleaning Solution for Spilled Water on Carpet
To begin with, combine cup of water with ¼ teaspoon of a mild dish soap in a squirt bottle. Before using the mixture, be sure the soap is completely dissolved in the water. Due to its powerful effectiveness to combat dirt, a moisture, and other tough substances, this mixture is frequently successful.
How to Dry & Remove Water Spots on Carpet
– Lighten dampen a clean cloth with the solution, do not oversaturate. To prevent it from occurring on the carpets, you want to avoid an excessively wet cloth. Too much water can lead to mold and mildew growth as well as other water damage.
– With gentle and quick movements, blot the water stain with your treated cloth. Until the dirt and debris is broken up, continue to blot. Rinse out the cloth and treat it with the same solution, while avoiding oversaturation after you loosened the dirt. Scrubbing and rubbing the area as it will only spread the filth out further and is push it deeper into the carpet’s fibers, so resist these urges. Until the dirt is removed, continue repeating these steps. Have several paper towels or clean cloths on standby to absorb excess moisture throughout the process.
– Once spot is free of debris, use a clean cloth dampened with pure water to rinse away the mixture’s residues. If necessary, blot with a dry cloth in between to avoid letting the area become too wet.
– Accelerate the drying process by using a clean towel with your weight on top of it to absorb and draw up the residual moisture. Follow up with a fresh dry towel and place weight on top of it to let it sit overnight. If possible, flip on fans to circulate the air and expedite the drying process.
– Generously sprinkle baking soda to the area and leave it for 2-3 hours. This will help complete the drying process as well as neutralize any developing odors. Vacuum the particles well by going over it slowly and in multiple directions only when the area is completely dry.
Carpet Cleaning, Stain Removal & More in Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Roswell, Duluth, Stone Mountain, Covington, Conyers, Loganville & Atlanta Georgia
The water spots or stains should be cleared away with the above process. However, if it persists, or you have other tough stains, a professional is your greatest ally. Call DM Carpet Cleaning and let our elite specialists assist you.