In the living room, the sofa is often in the prime location. While maintaining comfort, the sofa is preferable for reading a good book, sifting through electronics, gaming, TV, and more. Sofas often develop odors from the sweat and oils people reproduce naturally during the relaxing state. Substances, food, and beverage spills contributes to the odors as well as pet habits and activity. In between deep sofa cleanings and your care, you can include some freshening steps to neutralize odors, or simply keep them at bay. In an effort to help you with the odors that might occur on your sofa, we at DM Carpet Cleaning would like to share a maintenance step to incorporate into your routine maintenance.
Upholstery Cleaner & Freshener
Below are the steps to remove any odors or stop them from happening, but first, be sure to complete the cleaning steps for a more effective result. You will need:
– Baking Soda
– White Vinegar
– Vacuum cleaner with a hose and all the attachments (particularly the upholstery)
1) All of the hair, dust, and other debris on the surface should be removed by the vacuum’s hose and appropriate attachments, especially the upholstery brush. You may need to pull the sofa out to reach 360 degrees. Be sure to vacuum the backs, sides, front, arm rests, back rest, and under the cushions, along with front, back and sides of the cushions. Set the cushions to the side.
2) Generously sprinkle the baking soda over the sofa’s surface after you have ensured all of the debris is completely removed. Sprinkle the baking soda on the cushions separately. For approximately 15 minutes, let the backing soda seep into the fabric. To help remove much of the smells, the baking soda will absorb the odor molecules.
3) To remove the baking soda, and the odors with it, use the vacuum like in step one. Be sure to keep an eye on the vacuum bag or canister because between the dirt and debris in addition to the baking soda, it will fill fast.
4) White vinegar can be applied to if odors persist. Vinegar destroys bacteria that can be contributing to the odors, despite the vinegar will improve the initial smell, it can help remove them. Be sure to avoid over saturation as that can do more harm than do; only lightly mist the surface so it can dry fast.
DIY Couch & Upholstered Furniture Care
Immediately cleanup spills to help prevent the odors from developing. Food or beverages left behind often creates rotten odors, even excessive water can create musty odors. First, use a spoon or spatula to remove the chunks, followed by a clean, dry cloth or paper towels to absorb the liquid. Consult the label on the upholstery for washing directions and appropriate cleaners that can be safely used. When treating spots or stains, always do a patch test in an inconspicuous area to ensure the fabric will not be harmed.
Sofa Cleaning, Stain Removal & More in Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Roswell, Duluth, Stone Mountain, Covington, Conyers, Loganville & Atlanta Georgia
In conjunction with your own maintenance and care, be sure to have regularly scheduled sofa cleaning from a professional every 6-12 months. Professional not only eliminate odors, but remove spots, stains, and deep-rooted debris as well. For premium cleaning, sanitizing, and deodorizing your sofa and other upholstery, call the qualified professionals of DM Carpet Cleaning and let us do the rest.