Out of sight out of mind. At least that applies to mattress cleaning for most. If you do happen to think of it, it’s when you are lying down, getting ready for a peaceful slumber. Before you dismiss the claim of needing to clean your mattress, allow us to give you food for thought. Sweat, dead skin, dust mites, stains and all other forms of debris are riddling your bed. Where changing the sheets a minimum of every two weeks is a good practice, your mattress is equally affected while you are sound asleep. Your mattress needs to be thoroughly cleaned periodically to remove these pollutants and allergens.
D&M Carpet Cleaning would like to offer some tips on a mattress cleaning, and list the benefits of having a professional perform a deep cleaning.
Mattress Cleaning Tips
1. Vacuum Mattress – Strip your bed down to its naked, natural form and give a thorough vacuuming. Utilizing all of your hose attachments, you need to get in all the stitching, seams and corners. Ensure the mattress front and back are vacuumed, along with all 4 sides.
2. Treating Mattress Stains – Generally, most stains found on your mattress are protein based, coming from bodily fluids like urine, sweat or blood stains. There are a few ways to treat them. Select the option best suited for you.
Mix a solution of water, hydrogen peroxide, liquid dish soap, and baking soda in a spray bottle. Spray the stain generously and blot with a clean cloth until stain is removed.
Using a natural enzyme cleaner, follow label directions. Most enzyme cleaners are designed to break down odors and lift stains.
By mixing lemon juice and salt, create a paste. Apply mixture to the stain and allow it to sit for approximately 1 hour. Wipe away with a clean towel.
3. Treating Mattress Odors – For about 2 hours, allow a thorough sprinkling of baking soda to do its work on your mattress surface to neutralize odors. Meticulously vacuum away the remaining baking soda particles, including in the patterned crevices and seams.
4. Make your bed with clean linens and enjoy a night of sleeping on a fresh, clean bed.
Benefits of a Professional Mattress Cleaning
1. Allergy sufferers get a great gift when a professional cleans the mattress. Dust mites trigger many allergies but with a professional deep mattress clean, these pesky dust mites are removed.
2. A clean mattress contributes to clean healthy indoor air circulation.
3. Considering the average person spends a third of their day in bed, a vast accumulation of bodily fluids stain up your mattress. A professional has state of the art equipment and top of the line detergents to remove stains and neutralize odors leaving behind a freshly sanitized mattress.
4. A professional maintenance cleans, and along with in between cleanings you provide, extends the life span of your mattress.
5. A clean mattress Promotes a better night’s sleep.