A common application of flooring is VCT, or Vinyl Composition Tile, particularly in commercial settings. In order to retain the shine and to preserve the quality of the flooring, VCT floors requires regular maintenance. Keeping a routine of care and maintenance as well as utilizing professional services can increase the lifespan, keep the flooring in optimal condition, and attain the beauty it has to offer. With that in mind, DM Carpet Cleaning would like to list some tips and advice on performing the maintenance on your VCT flooring.
VCT Tile Floor Cleaning Maintenance Services
1) Dust and Debris Removal: Dust, dirt, and other debris has the potential to inflict abrasions and scratches if left on the surface in conjunction with foot traffic adding friction; creating a sandpaper-like effect. By keeping the dust and debris the floors not only look better, but you offer the floor more protection. With a soft bristled broom to clear the particles, sweep up the entire surface, without neglecting the corners and edges. Wash any stains and foreign substances with a mop dampen from warm water and immediately dry the surface with a dry towel. Avoid allowing moisture to dry on its own.
2) Prevent Spots from Staining: Instantly mop up any colored liquid or food spills that occur to avoid any stains. If necessary, use a solution of warm soapy water to remove any sticky residues or spots and immediately dry.
3) Scrubbing VCT Flooring: Every 3-6 months, when the VCT floor needs a deep clean, use a scrubbing machine for efficiency of removing of the grit and grime. Rinse the floor well to ensure the soapy residues are cleared once the scrubbing is finished, immediately dry the floors. Apply at least 3 coats of stain resistant VCT wax to give your floor a vibrant polish following the deep clean and drying.
4) Preventative Hard Floor Maintenance: Cover the floors with entry mats at the doors and area rugs that do not have rubber backing; the rubber backing will only contain the dirt and debris. Doing so will help you avoid excessive scratches, abrasions, and staining can really help the VCT floor’s overall condition and longevity. Invest in UV window film, blinds, and/or curtains on the windows to avoid direct sunlight from entering onto the flooring as sunlight will fade the colors. Consider every 3-6 months rotate the furniture around to avoid denting.
5) Professional VCT Stripping & Waxing Treatments: Professional services are equally important to the maintenance. Professionals generally cover the following:
– Cleaning Corners & Edges. Professional services are extremely thorough and will concentrate a lot of effort on the corners and edges to manually scrape away the old wax.
– Old Wax Strip Removal. Professionals use high quality formulas to strip away what’s left of the old wax to avoid over buildup along with high-end equipment the experts effectively get your VCT floor raw in preparation for the new application of wax.
– Wash, Rinse, Repeat: After the old wax dissolved and thoroughly rinsed. If necessary, repeat the wash and rinse, depending on the condition of the floors.
– Wax Application on Floors. To achieve the ultimate levels of gloss, shine, and overall appearance, professionals apply between 3-5 coats of wax on your VCT flooring, if needed additional coats can be applied.